Search This Blog

Sunday, November 25, 2018

Goal Race

Thursday was the big day.  I had plenty of rest leading up to race day, the course was dry and all systems were go.  Warm ups had me a bit worried as it seemed a bit of a struggle to hit sub 6:30 pace, but that's happened before.  I lined up near the front and got a fast start, being pulled along with all the young, fast guys.   I was feeling confident about hitting my goal after I had run the first half mile at 3:05 and felt pretty good.  The first mile was 6:23, so I had slowed considerably and it now felt like work.  Mile 2 was on Vinehill Road, which has some significant hills and I slowed even more to 6:48.  I was working too hard and knew at this point that sub 20 wasn't happening.  The last mile is flatter and offered a tailwind, but I could only muster a 6:39 and a finishing time of 20:19.  Third in my AG and 68th overall.  Disappointing, but goals are meant to be a challenge.

What was missing?  I know my body has always responded well to high mileage, so I think one more short cycle closer to 60 miles should do it.  Slightly increase the mileage over the weekend and get to a double digit run during the week should do the trick.  Secondly, I completed most of my track workouts successfully, but in looking back, I often overlooked some important 100m stride workouts.  A focus on mileage and running efficiency should work.

Range of motion is most likely an issue.  I've never or rarely stretched and cross training is always an afterthought.  Perhaps if I want to improve or even continue running through my Golden Years, that will have to change.

My ability to recover has improved.  While my recovery run on Friday felt awful, my 9 mile progression run and 2-hour long run on Sunday were both successes.  Set a record distance on my long run and both runs included some miles at or just below 8.
 
So, I give the last 9 weeks' cycle a solid B-.  Increased weekly mileage from 43 to 56, increased my pace on my 2-hour hill run from 8:53 to 8:38 and lowered my 5K time from 20:56 to 20:18. 
 
On another note, I should break 2,000 miles for the year and be close to 2,200 for 2018.  This got me thinking that this would be a good time to set some goals for 2019.
  • 2,500 miles for the year
  • sub 5:45 mile
  • sub 20 5K (early 2019)
  • sub 19 5K (later 2019)
  • sub 40 minute 10K
  • sub 1:30 HM
  • sub 32 minute 8K
  • Make the board on the ROY standings
  • Top 3 finish in AG for Grand Prix

No comments:

Post a Comment