Search This Blog

Sunday, March 19, 2017

Let the Dam Jokes Begin

I planned a trip to Des Moines to take part in two other activities out side if running that I enjoy, horse racing and baseball.  I would handicap the races during the day and watch an Iowa Cubs game at night.  Never to be one to leave well enough alone, I looked up to see if there were any races the week-end that I was visiting Des Moines.  Lo and behold, not only was there a race, but a the biggest and longest running road race in Iowa history.  It is the Dam to Dan Half Marathon.  Named that because it starts north of Des Moines at the dam across Saylorville Lake and ends near the dam at the Des Moines river downtown.  8,000 runners for the half and 2,000 for the 5K.  Looking at the finishing times from the past two year, I figured if I could  get in decent shape by June 3rd, I would could win the "old guys" division.  What a week-end, play the horses Friday, race on Saturday, play the horses again that day and watch the Iowa Cubs that night.  Then of course, more horse-racing Sunday!
 
And if you need some inspiration for dam jokes, see the link below.
 
 
I also hit my mileage goal for the week, making it to 56 despite taking a day off.  I am finding my endurance is coming back quickly, but speed is a reluctant to make a comeback.  A 6:52 pace is doable, but it takes a lot of warning up to get there and is short lived.  I am hoping that after another few weeks of pounding out 60 and 70 mile weeks, I will se my paces start to drop.
 
Few things are more motivating that a new pair if shoes.  Even if they do resemble clown shoes!  These are my new Altra One 1.5.  Anyone ready to go bowling!
 

Have a good week everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment