Search This Blog

Sunday, March 12, 2017

Rebuilding the Base

Motivation can be short-lived.  You can be inspired on Sunday, but by Thursday, that motivation can wane.  This is particularly evident in the base-building phase.  Not a lot of glamor, fast running or fun runs, just getting out the door and logging the miles at whatever the pace.  Doubly hard for a 55-year old body that has been pretty lazy for the past 10 months! All that being said, I am happy to report that I broke 50 miles per week for the first time in memory.  I certainly didn't run very fast, but I felt pretty good most of the week and encouraged to the point that I can up the miles and intensity for the coming week.  I think I will keep my increases to about 10% per week, while also introducing some intensity on Tuesdays and Sundays.
 
Honestly, I am not sure what my fitness level is.  Truth be told, I am bit scared to find out.  I have been looking at the calendar, trying to find a race is next on the list.  Probably start with a 5K and get a quick snapshot of where I am at.  I am hoping that I can get close to a 20-minute 5K and simply build from there.
 
Rick

No comments:

Post a Comment