Search This Blog

Sunday, March 5, 2017

Running Motivation

Its been a long time coming, but I am finally starting to gain some motivation after almost 11 months of floundering.  A couple of things happened.  First, I signed up for a race; not just me but both of my kids.  While we have been taking part in some friendly trash-talking, this race will be less of a competition and more of a celebration.  Celebrating the joys of running, not just for myself, but for my daughter, who epitomizes strength and  determination.  Never met a person who works as hard as this young lady.  Also for my son, who has experienced a long absence from running, and from my life; his return is most welcome.  Never been happier to see a young man work so hard to get his life back.  Now don't get me wrong, its still a competition and while I hope they both beat me, they will have to earn it to pass this old man!
 
Second, I started reading some old posts.  I realized I am not quite ready to hang it up just yet.  I may have run my fastest races, but I still want to experience the exhilaration of racing and competing to the best of my ability.  Not ready to become a "jogger" just yet!
 
The next month or two will be devoted to simple base-building, before I kick-off a formal 5K training plan in mid-April.   I managed 46 miles this week with a couple of quality runs.  The first as an 8-mile progression starting at 9:00 pace and finishing in 6:23 and Sunday's 9 miler included some serious hills and 8X100m strides.  Physically I feel good and mentally I feel ready to go!
 
Happy Running!
Rick

No comments:

Post a Comment