Search This Blog

Monday, October 22, 2012

IMT Des Moines Marathon Race Report: Mission Accomplished!

Well, I'm still riding high for finally breaking the sub 3-hour barrier.  I knew it was going to feel good, but I had no freakin' idea!  I ask for your indulgence as I lay out a full-blown race report, with all the gory and not-so-gory details of race week-end.  Thanks to all of you who offered support and advice; all of it helped.  Special thanks to Kurt Jewell, who helped pace me to my goal; his enthusiasm and math skills were desperately needed in the final miles.  Special-special thanks to my wife and daughter who put up with me and support me through this madness! Here we go:
 
Pre-Race - Kurt and I headed to Des Moines early, giving us all day Saturday to drive the course (bad idea) and do some "light" sight-seeing in Des Moines.  There ia actually quite a lot to see in Des Moines and it is a very lovely city.  I got a room at the Savery Hotel, which is downtown and literally right at the start and the finish of the race.  I walk out the front door and the starting gate is 20 feet away.  I don't have to worry about parking, waiting in the cold and most importantly, my own PRIVATE BATHROOM.  This is the only way to fly!  I feel like an elite runner.  The pasta feed was great and also got a pre-race pep-talk from Jeff Galloway.  Our table was right next to the elite runners and wow, can those chaps put away the food!  I got to bed by 9 and would have slept right to my alarm, but was scared out of my sleep by PA and mike checks down on the street at 4:40!  Ear piercing, blasting Maroon 5 is a less than  an ideal way to be roused out of a peaceful slumber.  Do we really need to be "Moving like Jaggar" at this hour?
 
Race Start - after using my very own personal bathroom one more time, I make my way to the start.  It's not a big race, so its easy to move up to the front.  The weather is perfect, about 48 and no wind.  I am wearing a singlet, shorts and a pair of old socks on my hands, which I shed after two miles.  It really was a gorgeous morning.
 
Early miles - the first two miles are a quick out and back through downtown, showcasing the State Capitol and the thriving downtown.  I love this part of the marathon, when a pace of 6:48 feels like a leisurely jog.
 
Mile 1 - 6:48
Mile 2 - 6:56
 
Hill Portion - I mentioned that driving the course was a bad idea.  The hills looked so ridiculous in the car, that I almost psyched myself out.  Thing is, the elevation chart is completely bogus.  On the chart it looks like two moderate hills then one long downhill.  In reality, there are 7 or 8 moderate hills between miles 3 and 9.  I wore a pace band for the first time and so glad I did.  The pace band called for a 1:30 negative split, which gave me plenty of motivation to do the hills easy, easy, easy.  Here were my splits through the HODS (Hills of Des Moines)
Mile 3 - 6:52
Mile 4 - 7:01 (first hill)
Mile 5 - 6:48 (fun downhill)
Mile 6 - 6:56
Mile 7 - 6:54
Mile 8 - 7:14 (big hills)
Mile 9 - 6:51
I ran this portion a little ahead of schedule and was ahead of the pace band by about 40 seconds.  The HODS were behind me and I could relax and focus on a steady pace

Middle Miles - this part of the course is miles 10 through 14.  Relatively flat and features a lap around the track at Drake.  We were on the big screen, but seriously, I forgot to look!  I was locked in and focused with the task at hand.  I took my first gel at mile 10 and started to fight through a slight side stitch at mile 11.  I would have the stitch through mile 20 or so, but luckily it never got out of hand.  Here are my splits though the middle miles:
Mile 10 - 6:55
Mile 11 - 6:49
Mile 12 - 6:46
Mile 13 - 6:59 (this mile was long) (half split was 1:30:41)
Mile 14 - 6:50 - (gel number two)
 
The Fun Part - this included a nice steady downhill from 15 to  18.  Not too steep, just enough to let gravity do its thing.  This felt awesome after all the earlier hills.
Mile 15 - 6:21 - this mile was way short
Mile 16 - 6:38 - weeeeeeeeee!  At one point I was cruising at 6:15 pace!
Mile 17 - 6:39 - again, with enthusiasm - weeeeeeeeeeeeeee!
Mile 18 - 6:46 - ride over, time to get to work.

The Not So Fun Part - all flat, all bike trail, and crowded with slow, walking half marathoners.  Luckily my personal pacer, Kurt joined me (he was part of a marathon relay team)  The job was now to crank out as many 6:45 miles as possible.  I really had to work, but was able to run steady all the way to 25.5 miles.  At some point in the marathon, my brain ceases to function.  I kept telling Kurt, that I had lots of time to make up to break three hours.  He kept asking me. "Are you sure?"  I had told him earlier that I was about a minute ahead of schedule at the half and had kept pace up to mile 19.  I kept thinking that I had a more than 30 seconds to make up, so kept pushing the envelope.  It was until mile 23.2 at 2:38 and change, how wrong I was.  Kurt yells, "you're flirting with 2:58 baby!"  I couldn't believe it.  I had this; it hurt like hell for 3 more miles and had a hamstring going wonky in the last half mile, but this was happening!
Mile 19 - 6:43
Mile 20 - 6:43
Mile 21 - 6:45
Mile 22 - 6:40
Mile 23 - 6:43
Mile 24 - 6:47
Mile 25 - 6:50
Mile 26 - 6:56
Mile .20 - 6:42

total - 2:58:56

Wow, what an amazing feeling.  I'm not the blubbering type, but there was some blubbering going on.  Just when I thought I was over it, another wave of blubbering would come over me.  I knew this was going to feel great, but I had no idea.  It was worth every mile, every work-out, every cursing of the alarm at 4:15, every double, every long run  in the July humidity and every sore muscle.  Truly incredible.
 
This was a small marathon field, less than 2,000.  My time of 2:58:56 was good enough for a win in my age group and a 36th place finish overall!  What a day!
 
Thanks for reading and as always, Happy running!
Rick

6 comments:

  1. GREAT job Rick -- a fun read too...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats Rick (Swamp)! Great job and what an amazing achievement! Enjoy the results of your accomplishment!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Holy crap thats awesome. I hope to join the sub 3 thread 1 jan 2013
    Piwi Kiwi

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome! Great pacing job to your friend and excellent finish. Enjoy the spoils of the accomplishment. It's yours forever!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fantastico! Great job and enjoy the buzz - you earned it!

    ReplyDelete