Search This Blog

Sunday, October 28, 2012

Now What?

I've been getting the question quite often, now what?  My immediate response has been, enjoy the buzz while it lasts.  The seed for running a sub 3 marathon was planted in 1999.  I was 39 and had just run a 3:09 marathon, but knew deep down that I didn't train all that hard and was convinced I could do better.  I ran again in 2000, but did not do as well.  My kids were 9 and 5 at the time, so doubling down on the training time did not seem reasonable.  In 2006, I got the bug again, trained for Grandma's Marathon and failed miserably.  It was hot that year and I was under trained, leading to a 1:34 first half and a total meltdown in the second half for a 3:59 finish.  I attributed my failure to the weather and continued with the same training regimen for the 2007 Twin Cities Marathon with a similar result; a 1:33 first half followed by a major bonk and a 3:45 finish.  In 2008, I tried to increase my mileage too quickly and ended up with a stress fracture of the femur, which sidelined me for 8 weeks and derailed my fall marathon plans.  In 2009 I followed a canned running plan from the interweb with similar result, 1:30 first half, 2:00 second half.  I was about to give up and resign myself that my best days were behind me and I would have to settle for a 3:09 marathon PR.

In 2010 I stumbled across a forum on Runner's World, a forum of like-minded individuals all trying for the same goal and some who already had had made the goal.  I was looking for a magic formula or method, but soon found out the answer was as simple this,  run more."  I was averaging about 40 miles per week for the year and maxed out at maybe 60 miles during the peak of my training.  The consensus was that I was fast enough (sub 39 10K) but it was obvious that I lacked endurance.  I took the advice to heart and in late 2009 and into 2010, I started to run more.  I ran and I ran and I ran.  I ran all winter on the treadmill, on the track and at the Metrodome.  I ran outside, in the morning, in the evening and  over my lunch breaks.  I was averaging 70 miles per week and my body was responding in a good way.  I ran the 2010 Minneapolis Marathon.  I didn't even come close to a sub 3 marathon, but something amazing happened.  I ran within myself and my last mile was faster than my first.  I didn't resemble a zombie at mile 23.  My wife and daughter didn't need to help me up off the ground and watch me writhe in pain.  I finished in 3:17, but had a smile on my face and the desire to do this crazy marathon thing again.

Cycle two started in July of 2010, with the goal race the Twin Cities Marathon in October.  I read Pete Pfitzinger's book, Advanced Marathoning and based my plan on that.  More easy miles and more defined speed work.  Increased my mileage to mid 70's with a peak of 80 and shaved off 10 minutes, finishing in 3:07.  Again, a negative split and felt good after the race. 

In 2011, I took a different approach, slow way down and run as many miles as humanly possible without breaking down.  I looked at my 2010 logs book and determined that most of my long and medium long runs were in the the 7:30 to 7:45 range, leaving me too tired and beat up to add more miles or successfully complete my speed work.  I made a conscious choice to add more miles and slow way down.  A method that would not only get me closer to my goal, but also help me achieve PR's in the 5K (18:09) 10K (37:45) and half marathon (1:24:45).  I skipped a spring race, due to personal circumstances and ran the TC Marathon again with a 3:02:41.  Once again, I achieved a negative split.  I was sure one more cycle would get me to the promised land.
 
in 2012, I added even more miles and slowed down even more.  The 2012 cycle was 20 weeks and I averaged 83 miles per week with a new weekly high of 96 miles.  I ran more doubles and added miles to my MLR in the middle of the week.  So, that's how I got to sub 3 (2:58:56 to be exact)  It actually took me 6 years to get there and once I figured out the secret, it was about 2 years worth of training.  
 
So, what's next?  I honestly don't know.  I'm 51 and just set a PR in the marathon.  I suppose I could continue to work away and shave a few precious seconds here or maybe a minute or two there, but none of it will compare to the feeling I experienced last Sunday.  I enjoy writing this blog, so I will need something to write about.  My wife and daughter claim they already know what my next goal will be; they won't tell me, but they know me pretty well.

Happy Running!
Rick 

No comments:

Post a Comment