Search This Blog

Sunday, June 26, 2011

Weathering the (small) Storm

Week #4 is history.  I kinda freaked out in the middle of the week there when I found myself pretty fatigued and some new aches and pains started sprouting up.  Nothing to get too worried about, it's all part of the process, right?  I mean, I'm running 80 miles per week and climbing and I did just turn 50, so a few aches and pains is normal.  Since my last post I've bounced back nicely; I slept 10 hours Thursday night, ran 14 miles on Friday, ran easy on Saturday and knocked off a 20-mile progressive run this morning without much trouble.  Apart from an achy right heel, things are in good working order.  I've been consuming more gels this cycle and they seem to be agreeing with me.  I like the ones with caffeine as they seem to give me a little mental boost in the middle of a long run.  Next week I have a big challenge, 18 miles with 10 at marathon pace, followed by a well deserved cut back week.  Also, I got to test out the ZICO Coconut water after my 20-miles today.  Coconut water has lots of potassium and magnesium, which turns out to be the worlds best recovery drink.  I thought it tasted pretty good and I'm feeling pretty good tonight, so I guess it did its job!


I switched back to an old friend this week, the Nike Pegasus.  I'm going with a less is more strategy when it comes to my shoes.  The Pegasus have been around forever and I always come back to them after trying other brands.  I ordered my free pair of New Balance 890's this week, which I will use as my tempo and race shoes.  Also, I got a nice surprise at the running store and will be receiving a new test pair of Mizuno Neutral shoes.  They haven't even been released yet, so I'll be one of their Guinea pigs.  I hope they are in some pretty flashy colors!  I like these!

Mizuno Wave Musha 3 Racing Shoes


Lot's of good tunes on my run today.  Super long play list, but this is the song that's working for me right now:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FKmW8VbKJCA


Happy Running

No comments:

Post a Comment