Search This Blog

Saturday, April 30, 2011

Now that was a nice surprise

Okay, so I ran the Get in Gear 10k this morning.  I was going to treat this as a kinda tempo/progressive kinda thing.  After a mile or so warm up I toed the start line and felt ready to go.  I went out relatively easy and was surprised when my first mile split was 6:11.  I kept myself relaxed, not trying to push too hard, knowing that once we crossed the river bridge we were going to be dealing with some serious headwind.  Mile 2 was 6:15; still right where I wanted to be.  Still felt very comfortable and more importantly, no Achilles pain.  Mile 3 we crossed the bridge and slowed because of the wind.  My 5k split was still a respectable 19:29.  Now we headed back, into the wind and a little on the hilly side.  Maintained my pace with mile 4 at 6:21.  Sub 40 was in the bag and I started toying with the idea of sub 39:00.  I turned up the effort just a bit, thinking I could whittle some more time off, but mile 5 was still around 6:20; I was getting gassed. We crossed back over the river, now with the wind at our backs, but still I could only muster a 6:15 pace.  I managed some extra umph for the .2, logging a 5:34 pace.  Final time:  39:08.  Nice to know that my fitness level is bit higher than I thunk it was.
 
Miscellaneous stuff
  • I was running through Purgatory Park on Wednesday and got bit in the ass by a Rottweiler!
  • At the end of the race today, saw this tiny, little man drink some water and than vomit; twice
  • Co-worker at the running store is reading a book called "Pride and Prejudice and Zombies."
  • Had many, many customers today looking for cold weather gear for Lake Minnetonka Half Marathon tomorrow morning. (Forecast is sub 30 windchill)  I wanted to ask them, "What the hell did you wear all winter?"  Obvious treadmill junkies!
  • Happy Running!
  •  

No comments:

Post a Comment