Search This Blog

Thursday, April 28, 2011

Just 5 percent

The reality is that I need to shave off +7 minutes off last fall's marathon P.R. to break 3 hours.  In marathoning, 7 minutes is huge.  But being a numbers guy, I've broken it down this way.  It's only 5%.  I'm reading all the time about how doing this or eating that will reduce your race times by 2%.  Most of it's a lot of hooey from somebody trying to sell you something.  However, there are a lot of things I can do right now to improve my fitness and shave off those pesky 7 minutes.  The way I see it, if I can come up with 10 improvements, each of which can increase my fitness by just half a percent, I'm home free!  How simple!  Now to find the 10 fitness improving measures or FIM's.
  1. Refined Sugar - I'm not a big sweets guy, but I do tend to eat whatever I want, whenever I want.  I'll have the Snickers bar after lunch, cookies or ice cream before bed, that sort of thing.  I realize it's virtually impossible to eliminate completely refined sugar, but I can try.  I've had no refined sugar today and didn't find myself craving it at all.  Cutting refined sugar out of my diet for 6 months has to have a positive impact on my fitness. 
  2. Wine - since about a month ago, I've been a daily wine drinker, imbibing in a couple of glasses with dinner every night. I now opt for a couple of brewskis once or twice a week.  This is a no-brainer, dropping from 10 to 15 glasses of wine per week to 3 or 4. 
  3. Conditioning - I hate stretching and conditioning.  I like to put on running shoes and head out the door.  I do force myself to do 30 minutes of core conditioning, but I rarely manage more than 2 times per week.  I realize the benefits of a strong core, but...  By simply devoting myself to 4 30-minute core strengthening session per week, I know I will be faster.
  4. Supplements - other than my fish oil fixation, I don't take any supplements.  If a person eats well you really shouldn't need them.  However, I don't always eat well, so I plan on making a trip to GNC and getting the most potent vitamins I can find.
  5. Relaxation Techniques/Self-talk/Cognitive Therapy - whatever you want to call it, everyone can use a little positive vibe now and then, right?  A little "Up with People" moment a few times per week has got to help even a veteran cyncic like myself.  Hey, it's only for 6 months and I can always return to being grouchy, sarcastic and judgemental.
Okey-Dokey then, I'm half way there!  Now all I have to do is log about 1,500 miles over the coming months through the hot summer, battling humidity, fatigue, bugs, injury... Wait,  let's be positive.  I can't wait for this wonderful adventure to start!  Eww, that was really hard to write.
Happy Running!

No comments:

Post a Comment