Search This Blog

Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Fitness Test Number 3

Right on the heels of the Get in Gear 10k is another Grand Prix race, the New Prague Half Marathon.  I'm not going to kid myself into thinking that I am in shape enough to really race this thing, but I need to run at least 10 of the 13 races to even have a chance of winning my age group, so I refuse to take a mulligan.  I think I can run a sub 1:30 or at least I can use as a real serious tempo run.  New Prague is nice, but the course is rather boring.  Out and back, mostly on county highways with little scenery.  So, here's the plan.  I'll go out slow for the first mile or two and than mile 3 settle into 3 hour marathon pace and see how long I can hold on.
I realized that I still need 5 more "lifestyle/training changes" to make before I hit the magic number of 10.  The first five were easy (see earlier post) but I'm really having trouble coming up with anything significant.  I've been sticking with my first 5 pretty well and have noticed a differecne in my energy level.
  • #6 - since I am getting a good headstart on the fall marathon training, I can commit to more mileage.  Each my last attempts have improved dramatically with an increase in mileage.  3:07 was done with a 16-week plan with average weekly mileage around 60.  I'll be peaking this go-around with 88 and an average of 65 to 70. 
  • #7 - this goes with the higher mileage, but I think I'll throw in some two-a-days.  Our new work office (we move in next week) has a shower, so I can go out during lunch for a quick 4 or 5 miler.
  • #8 - Fiber
An old friend wanted me to comment on my musical playlists while I run.  I really don't have a playlist.  I pretty much download two records, usually one old and one new and put on shuffle.  My selections for yesterday and today were Deftones' Adrenaline (old) and Airborne Toxic Event's All at Once.  Here is a sample of each, they make an interesting combo on shuffle!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FBMnE3sWaFA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TAgg5OvCWFo
Happy Running!

No comments:

Post a Comment