Search This Blog

Saturday, May 7, 2011

New Prague Half Marathon Race Report

I raced the New Prague Half Marathon this morning and I wasn't expecting much.  It was a beautiful morning, about 55 degrees and a light wind.  I wasn't feeling particular good; I had a bit of an upset stomach, but nothing too bad.
  • Mile 1 - went out easy and my 6:55 pace felt pretty comfortable
  • Mile 2 - chatted with a fellow runner through mile two - nice and easy at 6:55
  • Mile 3 enjoyed the Polka band - managed the rolling hills and slight headwind - 6:50
  • Mile 4 - finally get a break from the wind, but more rolling hills - 6:52
  • Mile 5 - feeling really good, so I decide to open it up a bit - 6:45
  • Mile 6 - this is where the race report gets a little corny.  I've talked to people who dedicate a mile of each race to someone or something.  I thought I would give it a try.  Mile 6 was for my son Niklas.  He's on the road to recovery and this hilly mile was all for him. 6:47
  • Mile 7 - this was for my daughter.  She's been struggling with motivation and I did a "fast" mile for her. - 6:41
  • Mile 8 - this was for my wife, Kristen.  I LOVE YOU!  Happy Mother's Day!  6:42
  • Mile 9 - I finally caught and passed the 1:30 pacer.  This was for my brother-in-law Herb, who recently had hip replacement surgery.  Good luck to you Herb on your recovery! - 6:47
  • Mile 10 - this was for my Mother-in Law, Henny.  Happy Mother's Day! - 6:47
  • Mile 11 - dedicated to my 81 year old Mother-in-law's boyfriend, Don, who just had knee replacement surgery.
  • Mile 12 - I focused on a problem and frustration I've been dealing with.  Relieved some anger and stress and opened up the pace a bit - 6:37
  • Mile 13 - for my Mom.  She has beat breast cancer twice, multiple Myeloma, and a major hip reconstruction over the past decade and is still going strong.  At 81, she certainly is the epitome of perseverance.  Happy Mother's Day Mom!
  • FINAL TIME - 1:28:10/6:44 pace

It was a fun race and I passed a lot of people in the last 3 miles.  It was no PR, but one of the best times I had running in quite some time.  A guy I passed at mile 10 came up to me at the finish and told me "he was in awe" of how many people I passed in the last 3 miles.  That made my day.
Happy Running!

No comments:

Post a Comment