Search This Blog

Monday, May 30, 2011

It's under way!

I kicked off my next training cycle today!  It was the 14th annual Brian Kraft 5K.  A flat course, one lap around Lake Nokomis.  I was shooting for sub 18:45 and finished in 18:36, so I'm rather pleased.  My Garmin said 18:31, but close enough.  Very fast and competitive race; my 18:36 finish was only good enough to get me to 100th place out 300 guys.  I think I was 21st place out of 48 in my age group.  Lots of speedsters.  Also, realized that this was my last race as a 40-something!  Thanks to the nice lady at registration for pointing that out so eloquently this morning!I'm officially signed up for the Twin Cities Marathon this week, so that part of my to do list is complete.  Looking forward to the new program and the high mileage weeks coming up.  Nothing like a good challenge.  I think I'll try to break the 90-mile per week threshold this go around.

Another race I'd like to run this year is the Old SOD Days 5-miler.  It takes place in my old hometown and ran it once back in my 20's.  Curious to find out what the winning time was last year.  I came in second last time I ran it and I don't think I broke 30 minutes.  Charlie A., if you read this, find out last year's results and let me know when this year's race is.


It is a long way to October 2 and so much can happen.  I realize that I can't take this adventure too seriously and also have some fun along the way.  Hobbies are supposed to fun, right?
Happy Running!

No comments:

Post a Comment