Search This Blog

Sunday, January 31, 2016

Boston Marathon Week 8/19 - Meat and Potatoes

This was week 8, about 12 weeks out and as I mentioned last week, the time when the real work begins.  I've been gradually building mileage and on top of running 80 to 90 mile weeks, I get to throw more quality and racing into the mix.

I am happy to report that I hit my mileage goal of 85 miles and nailed a quality tempo run on Tuesday night, where I ran 12 miles with 9 at sub 6:40 pace, then capped off the week with 19 miles on Saturday and a HM at 6:39 pace, followed up by 14 easy on Sunday.  Now I came up a little short on my HM goal, but I am still pleased with the effort.  I had trouble getting going, hitting the first half at about a 6:47 pace.  However, I opened it up on the way back hitting 6:30 pace pretty comfortably and even running a sub 40 minute 10k!

I am really happy with my progression so far.  No huge gains and no PR's, but I feel good, no pain or injuries and very little fatigue.  I think the cold weather training and the slow easy miles are paying off.

I will try to hit 90 miles this week and because of the mileage increase, I will stick with one quality run.  Shooting for 13 miles with 10 at 6:30 pace, but maybe wait until Thursday, to let me recover from the HM.

Happy Running!
Rick

No comments:

Post a Comment