Search This Blog

Sunday, January 17, 2016

Boston Marathon Week 6/19 - Still Plugging Along

No big breakthroughs this week, in fact it looked a lot like last week.  My plan was for a cutback week, but instead of cutting back the mileage, I held that steady and backed off on the quality.

The week started off with the Meet of the Miles.  I really didn't train for the mile, but I thought I was still in decent enough shape to at least ran what I did last year.  Mentally I just wasn't ready to put myself in a lot of discomfort, so I decided to go out easy and make up the time on the back half.  The first two laps were at a slower pace, but I was not feeling the urge to drop the hammer, in fact it felt like work from the get-go.  I had a little kick at the end, but came in with a 5:40 finish, which was almost 10 seconds slower than last year.  The mile isn't a high priority for me at this stage of Boston training, but it is always a little disheartening to see what little speed I have left starting to slip away.

I tried my usual Tuesday night workout, but I was feeling beat up from the mile race, so finished up 10 miles at about 7:10 pace.  The rest of the week was all about cramming in double digit runs, so I could hit 80 miles for the week.  The weekend was tough with the low temps, but did manage 18 easy miles on Saturday and 13 easier miles on Sunday.

I will continue to build on my mileage for the next two weeks and will try to by at 90 plus for the week in week 8 of my Boston training.  Then I will cap off the month with the Securian Half Marathon on January 30th.  I will have a good idea of where my fitness is at and readjust my training plans if needed.

Hoping for some more moderate temps by the end of the week; it will be nice to get down to two layers from the current 4 that Ihave been wearing!

Happy Running!
Rick

No comments:

Post a Comment