Search This Blog

Sunday, January 10, 2016

Boston Marathon - Week 5/19 - Arctic Running

Happy to report that after 5 weeks everything is going well.  I met my mileage goal of 80 miles and had one of the best workouts I have had in a long time on Tuesday night.  It was on the indoor track, so under controlled conditions, but a good fitness snapshot nonetheless.  I ran just over 11 miles at an average pace of 6:48 and 8 of those miles under 6:30.  Recovery time was a little longer than I would like, but no lingering pain, just simple fatigue.

I ran 16 miles on Saturday at a pretty easy pace, followed by 13 on Sunday.  I got out early on Sunday with the air temps at 11 below and the windchill at 24 below.  I dressed well and stayed on the wooded trails and enjoyed one of the most peaceful, satisfying runs in quite some time.  Brilliant sunshine, snow packed trails and cold, crisp air.  Pretty remarkable.

I have some races coming up; Meet of the Miles tomorrow night and the Securian Half Marathon in a couple of weeks.  I have been training for the half and think I can run a 1:26, but have not been doing much specific mile training, so anything under 5:40 would be okay.

I don't plan a big mileage jump for the upcoming week; I will be satisfied with high 70's, but may try to sneak into the 80's again.  I am pretty happy with the fact that I will be heading into the 12-week portion of the cycle logging 90-mile weeks.

Happy Running!
Rick

No comments:

Post a Comment