Search This Blog

Sunday, August 30, 2015

Sloggin' Out the Miles

Okay, I am going to honest, I really have no idea if this strategy is going to work.  Let me explain.  I coach a few folks who are training for Twin Cities Marathon.  They do their long runs on Saturday and I like to run with them.  I do my long runs on Sunday, so I had a decision to make, either make Saturday my long run and do something else on Sunday, don't run the entirety of the Saturday long run or do them both?  Since the Saturday run is at an easier pace, I decided to run them both.  The only problem with this strategy is that even though Saturday's run is at an easier pace, it is still a lot of time on my feet and my performance on Sunday suffers.  I really preach the time on your feet philosophy and I am really living it this cycle.  Any way, I got through both 20 milers and logged about 90 miles for the week.

How did the second 20 miler feel?  Physically I felt pretty good, no real aches and pains and I held a pretty good pace, but mentally it was a whole different story.  After about a mile or two, I just kind of checked out.  I was like a running robot.  In many ways, I feel like I am training for an Ultra, not a marathon.  I do know this that both required some serious napping post run!

Outside of the two long runs, I had a pretty good week, I had a good night at the Como Park Relays, running each mile faster than the last and all of them feeling pretty effortless.  The real tests are coming up with the Victory 10k on the 7th and the City of Lakes Half Marathon on this 13th.  Last year it was PR after PR and I have yet to set one this year, so now is the time to get it done!

Only 3 weeks to go before the taper and I am really looking forward to it!

Happy Running!
Rick

No comments:

Post a Comment