Search This Blog

Sunday, August 16, 2015

From Bad to Worse

Last week I mentioned my yo-yo training cycle, up one week with loads of quality, down the next week with fatigue, illness or other circumstance taking center stage.  This up and down continues; after logging high mileage last week, I noticed a sore Achilles on Monday, nothing too serious, but nagging and bothersome nonetheless.  I tested it out Tuesday morning, but it felt creaky and I was very tired, so I thought it wise to take the day off.  I ran some easy miles with the dog on Wednesday morning and everything felt okay, good enough so, that I decided to go ahead with my planned work out at the Como Park Relays that night.  Now those of you who have run the Como Park course can attest to its "lumpiness."  Not the best surface for a sore Achilles, and after two mile repeats, it was screaming and I ended up jogging in mile 3.  It was still sore Thursday, so I took off  that day and Friday for good measure.  I ran an easy 8 with the Williston crew on Saturday, and figured I'd be fresh and well rested for the MDRA 15K on Sunday.  I went out fast (big mistake) and finished the first 5k in 19:50.  I tried to hold pace up the hill from mile 3 to mile 4 and never really regained my composure.  Second 5k was just over 20 minutes, but I had nothing left.  I was getting passed and there was nothing I could do about it.  I was gassed.  The last 800 meters was a jog in and when a rival team member passed me on the final stretch, I couldn't respond.  The humidity and thick air really took their toll.  Haven't felt that bad running in a long time.  The very good news is that the Achilles felt fine, which is very important.  Finished the race in 1:01:04, more than 90 seconds slower than last year.

So, time to rest up, regroup and bounce back for week 12.  I will be able to get some more heat training in.  While the temps will be moderating here in Minnesota, I will be flying to Miami, for more of the same temps and humidity.  If heat training is the new altitude training, then I will be in fine shape for the Twin Cities Marathon.

Best,
Rick

No comments:

Post a Comment