Search This Blog

Sunday, September 7, 2014

PR Alert!

What an amazing week!  It started off with Monday's Victory 10k.  My A goal was sub 37 and I came up just a bit short with a 37:02.  Felt pretty good, probably went out a tad too fast (5:49) then lost concentration on mile 2 (6:05). I was pretty much locked in to 5:58 after the small hill on mile 3.  The remainder of the week was uneventful, in a good way.  I logged in all the miles that was on the plan, hitting over 90 miles once again for the week. I was well rested for today's City of Lakes Half Marathon and since the weather was good, I felt like I had a shot at a PR.  I normally don't race these too well.  I tend to go out too easy and treat the race as a progression run, not the best strategy, leaving a lot of time on the course.  Today was different.  I wanted to average around 6:17 pace and didn't waste any time.  I went out fast (6:17) and held that pace for the entire race.  My fastest mile was 6:07 and my slowest mile was 6:18, for me a perfectly run race.  Final time was 1:21:38, which is a 6:14 pace and a nice shiny PR!  Last mile was a second faster that the first mile.  It took me awhile, but I think I finally figured out this distance.  Haven't seen the official results yet, but I think I placed 4th in the old guy category.

Okay, only 4 weeks until Twin Cities Marathon.  I will be doing one more week of big mileage in week 15, back off slightly in week 16 with some more tune up racing, then the well-deserved taper begins in week 17.  Today's race was a nice confidence booster, showing me that I have a good shot at my goal pace of 2:52:53 on October 5th.

Happy Running!
Rick

No comments:

Post a Comment