Search This Blog

Sunday, September 28, 2014

2014 Twin Cities Marathon Traing Cycle Recap

I am in full blown taper mode and of course, I can feel every ache and conjure up every racing demon imaginable.  I'm too tired, too old, too slow, over-trained, under-trained, dehydrated, knees suddenly start hurting, back is sore; wait, is that a cold coming on?  Surely must be bronchitis. So,  I always find it comforting to look back at my training log to stifle some of the paranoia.  Wow, did I really run 100 miles back in August in the heat in humidity?  Did I really spend an entire week-end trail running? Wait, I set a massive PR in the half!  So, after reviewing, here is what this training cycle looks like:

  • 131 day running streak averaging 12.5 miles per day or 87.5 per week.  This was almost exactly what I ran last cycle
  • 51 days with doubles
  • 12 runs of 20 miles or more (non-doubles)
  • 17:35 PR in the 5k
  • Sub 37 minute 10k
  • 1:21:48 PR in the half marathon
  • 5:17 PR in the mile
I have run virtually injury and pain free.  I was beset with the usual amount of fatigue, which seems to get worse with each passing year.  If I cheated even a bit this year, it would be in my usual mid-week long run.  Last year I was able to log 2 or 3 solid 15 milers on Wednesday, and this year I was more likely to do 18 to 20 as part of a double.  Also, in general, a lot more doubles this year than last.  I raced more this year than last, using races as a substitute for quality training runs.  To be honest, I didn't do one MP training run during one of my weekly long runs.  

I feel ready to go and I only have to let the taper work its magic.  The A goal this year is a Moose Mug, which is under 2 hours plus my age, 2:52:59.  The B goal is a PR, so 2:54:57 and there is no C goal.

No comments:

Post a Comment