Search This Blog

Sunday, September 14, 2014

Last Big Week is Done!

This was my last big week of the cycle and I wanted to make it count.  I was coming off a week of two races, so I thought it would be best to just concentrate on mileage for the first part of the week and avoid any chance for injury.  My half marathon effort on Sunday took a lot out of me, so I needed all of Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday to recover.  Even though I logged over 42 miles, they were all slow and easy.  Thursday I felt it was safe to throw in some work outs, so I did what I call my garbage run, which is a little bit of everything.  After a warm up, I run down Vinehill and attack every hill.  This leads me to the high school where I do 8x100 sprints, just to air things out a bit.  This is followed up by a steady tempo run on Excelsior Blvd where there is a steady uphill for about a mile.  I finish up by running up a Wild Wings, which is a very short road with about a 6 or 7% grade, which I sprint up 3 or 4 times.  It's then about 3 or 4 miles home, which I run easy.  Not the most scientific or structured work out, but I get bored with the same old routines and this helps to break things up.  I was tired on Friday and was on the fence in regards to racing Saturday.  I went to bed Friday night and did not turn on my alarm.  I told myself if I woke up with no alarm before 6 I would race, if after 6, no racing.  Well, I was up and feeling rested at 5:30, so it was off to Waconia to run the Nickel Dickle 10k.  I warmed up and lined up to race with just a few minutes to spare.  We went out fast, 3 young guys out ahead, me running with a friend and some young local cross country kid.  We hit the the split at 18:20, pretty fast, then the hills started.  The kid stuck with me and the 3 front runners began to fade.  I told the kid to get get em, and he finally heeded my advice at mile 4.  I had a good race finishing the very short course in 36:12 for a 3rd place finish overall

I will cut back this week and race one more 5k, just as a tune up.  Taper has finally arrived and I am really looking forward to resting and then getting after it on October 5th"

Happy Running!
Rick

No comments:

Post a Comment