Search This Blog

Sunday, June 15, 2014

5k Fun

I had another good week of high mileage running.  April was 60's, May was 70's and June is all 80's.  will that mean 90's and 100's for July and August?  What does that mean for September then!?  Lets see if the body can hold up.

I continue with the very slow paces, barely breaking 8:30 on the vast majority of my miles.  I will continue with this strategy, mixing it up with as much racing as I can fit in and afford.  This week I found a local 5k on Saturday, so at the last minute decided to sign up.  I didn't recognize anybody, so assumed this was truly a fun run.  Just before the race was to start some younger lads made there to the start.  They knew each other and it sounded like they were some decent college runners looking for a joyride.  We want out fast, about 5:25 pace, then quickly settled into a 5:45 pace.  I was working, the young guys we chatting, planning their weekends!  Through mile 1 it was down to me and 3 others.  The pace still felt right, so I fell behind the other 3 and stayed on their heels.  After mile two they put a little distance on me, but I still felt that I could catch them if need be.  With a half a mile to go one of them bolted, leaving me with just the other two fellas.  I waited until there was about a third of a mile to go and put the hammer down and ended up with a 2nd place finish overall and a new PR of 17:35.  That was a very sweet 53rd birthday present!

Happy Running!
Rick

No comments:

Post a Comment