Search This Blog

Sunday, September 1, 2013

Cross Country Week

I had a slight cut back in my mileage this week, but I can't say it was an easy week.  The heat and humidity were almost unbearable (only used the treadmill once) and I ran back to back Cross Country  races.  Neither course were particularly hilly, but both were very lumpy, for lack of a better term.  Racing on soft uneven surfaces is very taxing and difficult for me and I am hoping that these work outs provided some added benefit for the long term.  Wednesday night was the MDRA Como Park Relays, where two-person teams run an 8x1 mile course.  My partner and I finished in 50:10.  Not the speediest time, but hey, it was over 90 with a dew point over 70.  Did I mention the course was lumpy?  The following night was the St. Louis Park Geezer Chase, where us Geezers get a two minute head start and then the young lads try to catch us.  Less lumpy course, but very hot and humid once again.  I was beat after these two races.  I have to mention how lucky I am to live in a community that has such wonderful opportunities for runners.  The MDRA Como Park Relays are a perfect example.  Every Wednesday in August, you just show up, plunk down your $3.00 and run until your heart's content.  What a fantastic 40 year tradition!

Finished off the week with an easy 20 miler on Saturday and ran easy today, so I can rest up for tomorrow's Victory 10k in Minneapolis.  Conditions should be great, the course is fast and no reason why I can't run a great race.

We are 5 weeks out from TCM and things are back on schedule.  No injuries to speak of, the back is fine and the mileage is where it should be.  Speed is still the only issue and tomorrow's race will be a good test to see where we are at.

Lastly, I triple-checked my blog this week for grammatical and spelling errors, in honor of my favorite teacher of all time,  Mr. Harlan Helwig.  RIP Mr. Helwig.

Happy Running!
Rick

No comments:

Post a Comment