Search This Blog

Sunday, September 15, 2013

Twin Cities Marathon Taper - Thinking about a Goal

I just finished up another big mileage week, covering about 92 miles, mostly easy, but did work in some serious hill work on my MLR and also on my long run today.  I also managed a little racing, winning my hometown's 8K race, finishing the short course in 28:14.  I'm really not that fast, I think the course was short about 2 tenths, so my adjusted time would have been closer to sub 29:30, which is still a PR. (5:51 pace)
 
So, we are three weeks out from the Twin Cities Marathon and I've been giving some thought to a goal.  Like many runners, I like to plan out an A, B and C goal.  Since I have never broken 3 hours at this race, that will be my C goal.  Simply to run a smart race and not let the hills from 21 to 23 get me.  My B goal would be a PR, so anything under 2:56:42 would suffice.  Then I need a stretch goal or an A goal.  A fellow runner planted a seed in my head of running a sub 2:55.  Why is sub 2:55 so important?  In my age group it would give me elite status and a guaranteed comp entry in next year's race!  You get to use all the amenities of the elite athletes, before and after the race.  How cool would that be? 
 
So there you have it.  I have done the training, now I just have to taper and tune and let it rip on October 6th.

Happy Running!
Rick

No comments:

Post a Comment