Search This Blog

Sunday, September 8, 2013

Back to the Roads

Last week was a fun week of cross country racing and this week it was back to road racing.  Labor Day was the annual Victory 10K in Minneapolis.  Super flat and fast, and combined with the cool weather, I thought I had a good shot at a PR.  I went out a little too slow and although I managed a 5:42 last mile, it wasn't enough to break 37 minutes and a long way off from my PR of 36:42.  Still pretty happy with the result as I was coming off 94 miles form the previous 7 days.   I ran a lot miles during the week, but nothing fast, saving up some strength for the City of Lakes 25k.  I have never run well here and I wanted to change that.  I was determined not to go out too slow and try to make up for it at the end.  I went out just right, hitting mile one at 6:36, mile two was 6:25 and I never faltered after that, knocking off one 6:25 mile after another.  I kinda lost my focus and my chance to break 1:40 at about mile 14 and had to really hunker down the last 1.5 miles.  In fact, I needed to run the last half mile in 3 minutes just to get under 1:40, finishing in 1:39:55 (6:25 average). A nice confidence booster before Twin Cities and a 5 minute improvement over last year's time.

So, no racing this week (okay, I might sneak in a race this week-end) but I do plan some quality runs with one more attempt at hitting 100 miles for the week.  I sure am looking forward to the taper!

Happy Running!
Rick

No comments:

Post a Comment