Search This Blog

Sunday, December 30, 2012

2012 Review

Tomorrow will be my last run of 2012 and I can start my 2013 running streak in earnest.  Kinda looking forward to it and kinda dreading it. (The streak that is)  If I can keep the streak, I should be in the neighborhood of 3,500 miles for the year.  Speaking of goals, I thought this was a good time to recap my 2012 and document my goals for 2013.  It was a good running year and it is very satisfying to still be making goals and setting PR's at 51.
Mileage total - depending on what I run tomorrow (probably 6) I will finish the year just south of 3,000 miles.  I think 3,500 is a reasonable goal for the new year.
5K - I set a PR of 18:09 at the Brian Kraft 5K in May.  It's a flat, super fast course and I plan on doing it again in 2013.  I'm aiming for for a 17:5X in 2013 and I think it is very doable.
10K - came up a little short here, missing a PR by 12 seconds at the Victory 10K.  My PR is 37:45 and I hope to break 37:30 in the coming year.  Pretty aggressive, but I like the distance.
Half Marathon - set a PR of 1:24:45 at the New Prague Half in the spring.  This is the distance that I have room for improvement, but I never train specifically for any half's; they are always part of a full training schedule.  That being said, if the stars are in alignment and I have good weather, I think a 1:22 something is doable.
Full Marathon - of course this was the big nut and the purpose of this blog.  I finally broke 3 hours at Des Moines with a 2:58:47.  I'm running Grandma's in June, which is a much flatter and faster course, so I'm going for a 2:56:00.  The weather can be a crap shoot, but generally its in the 50's at the start.
MDRA Grand Prix - I ended up 5th overall and 2nd in my age group for 2012.  I want to finish in the top 5 again this year, but want to win my AG.  That means competing with Kirt G. again, but I think I can do it.  Oh yeah, I plan on running every race in the Grand Prix this year.
Minnesota Runner of the Year (Age Group) - I made the board for the first time with a whopping 6 points!  I have no illusions that I can compete in my AG, but I'm going to shoot for double digits in 2013.  There are just too many uber fast 50-year olds in Minnesota for me break that barrier.  Its fun to see my name on the list though!  I think I was 6 way tie for14th in 50 to 54 AG.  The trick is to run more qualifying races.
Grandma's training starts officially on January 28th, the Monday after the Securian Half Marathon.  It will be a 20 week plan with lots of racing between February and June.
So, a 365 day running streak, a sub 18 5K. PR's in the 10K, half and full are some ambitious goals, and a Grand Prix AG win, but I think I have a shot at all of them.
Happy Running!

1 comment:

  1. Wow... Those are pretty lofty goals. :-)

    -- calbearsfan

    ReplyDelete