Search This Blog

Sunday, August 5, 2012

Speed Intro

Well, here we are in week 9 of my 20-week plan for the Des Moines Marathon.  I mentioned last week that the I built the foundation over the first 8-weeks and starting the next cycle with close to the same mileage, but introducing some speed work into the mix.  Nothing to crazy in week 1, the only speed specific work-out of the week was today's 20 miler with 12 of them at or below marathon pace (6:52 or better).  It still takes me a mile or two to find that rhythm, but once I was locked in, I was locked in.  I even managed a 6:44 mile 17 and a 6:42 mile 18.  I did the work-out on a flat trail, but it is all gravel, which definitely slows me down a bit.  This was a confidence building work-out as I felt very good afterwards and had some gas left in the tank.  In addition to this work-out, my GA (general aerobic) runs for the week were all a notch or two faster than in the first cycle.  In the first 8 weeks, these GA MLR's were hovering around 8:30 and this week I was dropping below 8 minute pace for most of these miles.  This is a very good sign.  Looking at my running log from last year, I was missing these quality runs because of some severe plantar fasciitis, but all systems go so far this summer.  Plus, we had a big break in the temps and humidity, which was truly appreciated.

Looking ahead to next week, I see a slight drop in mileage, but some 800 meter work-outs on Wednesday.  I'll try to run these (6 of them) in 2:50.  Certainly not blazing Olympic kind of speed, but will definitely be a challenge.  Then in week 11 the mileage gets ramped back up again, with 94 miles planned.  I may make the attempt to break 100, but only if I think my body will hold up.  No sense in trying to make some arbitrary mileage goal and risk injury.

So, things are still looking up and I am hoping that October 21st gets here very soon.

Happy Running,
Rick

No comments:

Post a Comment