Search This Blog

Sunday, August 12, 2012

It's Haftime

I've completed 10 weeks of my 20-week plan.  The body is still holding up well, but am feeling a little bit fatigued today.  Wasn't a high mileage week, but did get in some speed work including my 6x800 meter workout on Wednesday morning.  I was shooting for a 2:50 average, but that was a bit too optimistic.  My average was 2:53, all done with 3 minute easy jogging between intervals and  part of an overall 10-mile run.  After watching the Olympians run 800 meters in 1:40 you realize just how slow you really are!

I need a good recovery day today and get myself ready physically and mentally for the 2nd half and week 11 in particular.  This is one of the most key weeks of the entire program.  There are 94 miles planned with strides, 800 m intervals and a half-marathon pace tempo work-out all on the docket.  Following week 11, I get to measure my fitness with lots of racing.  Rochester Half-Marathon, Victory 10K, City of Lakes 25K and Old SOD Days 8K, all within a 30-day span.  I'm really looking forward to getting out there and doing some racing.  I don't think I can all out race all four, so I still need to choose which ones I am racing and which ones will just be used as key work-outs.  My showing last year in the COL 25K was terrible, so sometimes my body decides for me.

The Olympics were great fun.  The men's marathon was a bit of a let down from an American standpoint; even though 37-year old Meb had a great race.  Not sure Ryan Hall has what it takes to compete internationally.  Usain Bolt was hands down the most impressive and dominant athlete of the games and I really admire the way Allyson Felix runs.  She made all here races look very easy.  Mo Farrah was phenomenal as well.

Happy Running!
Rick

No comments:

Post a Comment