Search This Blog

Sunday, August 26, 2012

Ramping Up the Intensity

Total mileage peaked last week at 96, so the trick is a balancing act of maintaining that big base while simultaneously introducing intensity. This week, I had a track work out of 5 x 600 meters at 5k pace (5:44) and on Saturday the plan called for a marathon paced run of 12 miles. Since there was a half marathon on the Grand Prix schedule, this was a perfect opportunity to get in my run and complete another race on the circuit. It was a nice morning, a bit on the humid side, but nothing that would effect my pacing strategy. The trick was not to all out race this thing, but be aggressive enough to make a good showing. In that regard, I think I ran a successful race. I went out a fast pace (at least compared to how I usually go out) and maintained a very comfortable 6:44 pace through mile 4. There was a major hill at the 4.25 mile mark, so my pace dropped to 6:54 for mile 5. At the halfway point, I was done with running easy and chatting with other runnes and decided to open it up a bit. Mile 6 was just under 6:30 and that is the pace for the next couple of miles. I was hoping that I would be able to comfortably get under 6:15 pace for the last 4 miles, but the course moved to a bike bath, that was very cruvy and hilly and broke my stride and concentration. I did manage a a 6:19 mile 13, but nded up with a a 1:26:44 time, good enough for a 3rd place AG finish and 15th overall. I ran just shy of 19 today on very tired legs. I am looking ahead to some more intense track work this coming week along with a lot more racing. It is truly crunch time and this is where a sub 3 hour race is made. I am still feeling good with where my fitness is and remain confident that I will nail this thing. Happy Running!

No comments:

Post a Comment