Search This Blog

Sunday, January 1, 2012

Good Bye 2011 and Hello 2012!

Completed my last run of the year yesterday, a SLOW 6 mile recovery run.  I ran easy, took my time and thought about the past year of running.  I'm quite content with how things went, even though I didn't achieve my main goal of a sub-3 marathon, I did manage PR's in the 5K 10K and marathon.  There is a lot to be said for high mileage programs.  I managed just over 2,700 miles for the year and outside of a pretty nasty case of plantar faciitis, I stayed happy and injury free.  I also made some new running friends, which has made the training much more enjoyable.  I coached my first marathon clinic, which was fun and I look forward to coaching number 2 coming up in March.

So, in 2012, I will continue my quest to break 3-hours.  I feel like I have may have hit the high water mark in the other distances, but only time will tell.  I have to admit it would be fun to break 37 minutes in the 10k, or 18 minutes in the 5K, but while the endurance may be there, the speed is slowly diminishing.  As far as miles go, I don't see a big increase for this year.  2,700 seemed the right amount for where I want to get, but a modest 5 to 8% increase may serve me well.  Hell, 3,000 is a nice round number.  I think my 50-year old body can handle that!

Well. I'm off to the gym for my first run of 2012.  It's just too windy and blustery to run outside today.  Thanks to everyone who has offered advice and words of encouragement over the past year.  Also many many thanks to my family for supporting me and putting up with my obsession.  I'm looking forward to another great year of running and hopefully make some new running buddies while I'm at it.

Happy Running!

Rick

No comments:

Post a Comment