Search This Blog

Monday, December 26, 2011

Hitting the reset button

Today I woke up and realized that I've had enough of floundering in running no-man's land.  After many consecutive weeks of slow miles in the 40 to 45 miles per week range, a diet that has consisted of copious amounts of sugar, fat and empty calories, staying up late (relatively speaking), sleeping in, no conditioning and no long runs, its time to get back on track again (Pun intended).  I did plan on a cut back after the marathon, but this has gone on long enough.  Today I pencil out a plan and since January 1 lands on Sunday, I have a perfect day to launch!

So really, today is day one of the planning stage!  Pretty exciting if I do say so myself.  For those of you like me (habitual planners) these are great days.  You start with a blank sheet of paper or squeaky clean Excel spreadsheet and map out your goal.  It all seems so easy on paper, right?  Today we start with a to-do list, with first item of business, a trip to the grocery store and menu plan (yay, more planning! A to-do list within a plan within another plan!!!)  Right now the cupboard is bare and our leftovers consist of rice pudding, sweet potatoes (not the healthy kind, but with lots of butter and cream) peppermint bark, Swedish meatballs, eggnog, and those addicting peanut butter and chocolate rice crispy treats!  I can see two big cannisters of FunkyChunky popcorn by the fireplace; both are unopened, which gives you an idea of how much sugar has been consumed in my house.  There is not a piece of fruit or any vegetables to be found!  Oh wait, I found a bag of uncooked cranberries!  All is not lost.

For Christmas I did get myself a new pair of shoes, the Brooks PureConnect.  Another light-weight minimalist shoe that fits super snug and wraps my skinny feet nicely.  With the achilles and feet issues I've had over the past year, I won't be using these for anything, but short speed and tempo work.  They look pretty cool and I'm all about cool!




Thanks to William, William, William and Malena for the Christmas Day run through Ramsey Park!  Don't forget that hills are your friend!

Happy Running,
Rick


2 comments:

  1. I feel the same way ~ I am a planner who has actually been floundering since the Ragnar. Thanks for the great post ~ I intend to write up a plan today too :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also love a fresh start and the hopefulness of a new plan. I also am going to try on the new Pure line, though I don't have skinny feet so I'm expecting the Flows to be my choice. Happy fresh start to you!

    ReplyDelete