Search This Blog

Sunday, December 11, 2011

A New Student!

I'm teaching a new student.  After many years of competitive gymnastics, my daughter has decided to give running a try.  We just completed our first week and I am quite impressed with her endurance.  We are aiming for a spring 5k, not just to finish, she has already done that twice this week; no we have bigger and better things planned.  She should easily be able to run sub 22 by April and if she wants to work really, really hard she could possibly break 20 minutes.  Now I have to be realistic and remember this is a 16-year old girl we are talking about; she's got better things to do than follow her old man's training regimen, but I honestly believe that the sky is the limit with this kid.  Hopefully I can instill in her a love for running.  Hey it's a lot safer and easier on the body than gymnastics!

I continue to plug along with my 45-mile weeks with some "just okay" speed work.  I have to be honest, my heart is really not in this mile training thing.  I just want it to be over, so I can start logging some real miles again.  I'm kinda eyeing Green Bay as a spring marathon, but we shall see.  As a life-long Viking fan, the thought of running near Lambeau makes me a little queasy!  However it appears to be a pretty flat course with the weather being the only wild card.  It's also a small race and a 3:02 or better finish would put me first in my age-group! (Based on last year's results.)

A couple of "running moments" this week.  The best was being able to run with my daughter; what fun.  A distance second was my late evening Saturday run.  I missed the early morning eclipse, but ran to a stunning and bright full moon.  Turned off the headlamp and ran my favorite trails to the moonlight.  God I love running!

Happy Running!
Rick

No comments:

Post a Comment