Search This Blog

Sunday, December 4, 2011

It's official. Winter is here!

We got just enough snow to make a mess of the sidewalks and side streets.  The challenge of running through the winter is making the time and finding safe venues to run.  Saturday night, during the snowfall, I had a fantastic trail run, but after a day of sunshine and melting, the soft, fluffy snow turns to an icy, crunchy and slippery mess.  I tried to make make the best of it by running to the local high school (about 3 miles) then doing some speed work on the high school track (another 3 miles) then after cooling down, I ran back home for a grand total of about 9.4 miles.  Hey, its a lot of futzing around, but it beats running on the treadmill.  I did manage around 45 miles this week, which is the most since Twin Cities Marathon training cycle.  I did manage some speed work, but to be perfectly honest I'm really sick of the training for the mile.  I rather be focused on ramping up and racking up some real miles, but I realize it's still too soon.

I ran a couple of times with my lovely daughter.  She has agreed to let me put together a 5k program for her.  We should have her in racing condition by April and the Get in Gear 5K.  She does not have any experience running, but is incredibly fit and an enthusiastic student eager to discover the joys of running.  We did a VO2 max test on Saturday and we discovered she has a naturally high level.  We ran a mile at a pretty good clip and her heart rate hardly budged.  I think as long I can keep her interested she has a good shot at a sub 20 5K.  Good job Malena!  Speaking of instruction I have signed up for another marathon clinic in 2012.  My marathon clinic will begin March 1st, so if you know of anyone looking for some marathon instruction have them give me a call or shoot me an e-mail.  My number is 952-215-2236.

Had a great running moment this week.  I was forced to listen to Christmas music most of the day Saturday and during my evening run I felt the need to "cleanse the musical palette" if you will.  The perfect remedy was to listen to Smashing Pumpkins' Siamese Dream which was just reissued this week.  The perfect answer to listening to Jingle Bells and the like for 6 straight hours!  I'm not a Scrooge, but I can only take Christmas music in small doses.

Happy Running!
Rick

No comments:

Post a Comment