Search This Blog

Sunday, January 22, 2012

Rough Start to New Training Cycle

I had a rough start to this week.  This was to be the week where my new training cycle begins for my spring marathon.  Well, Monday morning I was sitting in my office chair and when I got up to get some coffee my lower back went twang!  At least I think that is the correct medical terminology for what happened.  I spent the next two days hunched over; running was out of the question.  I'm always a little freaked out about back injuries.  I've heard too many stories about people with chronic back issues and their lives never seem to be the same.  As I venture into my 50's I think more and more about these type of injuries; things just don't heal as fast and in the back of your mind you are thinking, is this injury "the one."  Well, I may have let my negative thinking get a little out of control.  Wednesday I was feeling better and Thursday I was back at it.  I ran 7.5 at the Metrodome and 3 more with my daughter at the high school.  Friday I hit the treadmill for some speed work and after a few miles at 6:40 pace I found out everything was in good working order.  Finished up the week with 7 on Saturday and 11.25 today.

This little scare has made me realize that I have been taking some things for granted.  I definitely need to work on my stretching and core conditioning.  I can't expect to make it through this very aggressive training cycle and high miles without it.  Hers is to a new week with some higher mileage, tempo work and yes, conditioning.

Ran with my daughter this morning and was privileged to run with her on her longest run of her very young running career.  Nice going Malena!

Happy Running!

No comments:

Post a Comment