Search This Blog

Sunday, December 16, 2018

Recovery Time

I mentioned it briefly in last week's post, the idea and benefits of extended recovery as I approach 60 years old.  It only makes sense and would explain why I consistently break down mentally and physically when I try to build mileage over 50 miles per week.  It also appeared evident this week when I did a very aggressive track workout on Tuesday and the following three days I felt slow, heavy and sluggish, rarely breaking the 9 minute mile barrier.  But rather than get down on myself, I accepted this fate and patiently waited for recovery to come to me, instead of forcing the issue.  Recovery did return finally on my Saturday 8 plus mile run.  After a warm-up, I was hitting sub 8 pace relatively early and running around sub 7:30 pace by the end.  Its the same route I run every Saturday and it was a full 90 seconds faster than anything done in the last month.  Sunday is my traditional "see how far you can run in 2-hours" workout, which includes two significant hills, Old Excelsior Road and Sparrow Road.  Even with a successful Saturday work-out, I was able to set a new distance record on this run as well.  So, now its back to recovery mode.  Most likely I will take Monday off and return to the track on Tuesday.  Lesson learned, I will run as little or as much as my old body gives me on Wednesday, Thursday and Friday to continue with good results on key workout days.  I am sure that following this program will lead to more mileage eventually, but I will no longer be a slave to increased miles per week, at least as long the results continue be there.  That being said, I am satisfied with my mid 40 totals for this week.  I am no fool, I fully realize that I will never get close to a 3 hour marathon again at this kind of mileage and maybe I never will, but I also realize that it is guaranteed not to happen if I continue to force mileage increases every week, regardless of how my body feels.  Less pressure, better results and a happier outlook!

No comments:

Post a Comment