Search This Blog

Sunday, December 23, 2018

New Strategy Working

I continue to focus on my 3 work-out runs of the week and not worry about the other four days.  If I need an extra day off or only run 4 easy miles with the dog, well, that's what I do. Don't sweat the weekly miles total, just prepare myself mentally for Tuesday's Track workout, Saturday's 9 mile progression and Sunday's See How Far you Can Run in Two-hours Run.  For a third straight week, I improved my pace and/or distance on all three runs!
 
Tuesday's run started out a little slow, but by the end of the run, I was cruising at a sub 6:25 pace and it felt relatively fluid.  Wednesday off, Thursday an easy 5, Friday an easy 7.  Saturday's run felt great, starting off pretty fast and running the last couple miles at a comfortable sun 3:15 marathon pace!  I was dubious about running more than 14.1 miles on my Sunday run.  There was a still westerly wind, slowing me down for the first few miles, plus a little it of fresh snow cover.  However, at about the 6-mile mark, everything felt good and I was running easily under 8 minute pace.  Handled the two big hills well, then turned for home at a snappy 7:40 pace, back into the wind.  Ending with 14.25 miles for the  day and close to mid-40's for the week.
 
I'll try more of the same this week.  The track will be closed on Tuesday, so may move that workout to Thursday.  The last few years, my daughter and I have started a new Christmas tradition of doing a longer run, will be adding my son to the mix this year, so looking forward to that.

No comments:

Post a Comment