Search This Blog

Saturday, October 6, 2018

Small Breakthroughs

Things felt better this week.  Ran everyday but Monday and instead of feeling worn down, my runs got a little easier and faster.  Friday and Saturday ran back to back 9 and 10 miles.  Both averaged under 8:30 even with a "Huey" mile at the start.  I would get down to the 8:10 range and it felt incredibly easy.  I think the 200 meter track repeats helped on Tuesday plus I may be reaping the benefits of the 26.2 mile "long run" in Ely a couple of weeks ago.  So, how to I keep this momentum going?  The track workouts are key, as is running every day.  If I've learned anything about my body, its that it responds to consistency and volume, spiced up with the occasional track workout or race.  Lastly, I may tack an extra mile or two at the end of my prescribed 11 mile long runs.  I want my body to be able to do 15 to 18 without too much trouble.  Plus the mileage will help me get to sub 20 that much quicker.  My only concern at this point would be the speed in which I completed my 200 meter repeats.  Barely dipped below 45 seconds!  God am I slow!  It's quite possible that even with increased endurance, I won't have the speed to run a single mile at 6:20, let alone 3!  Another trouble spot are hills, especially early in a run.  I slow way down and feel like I weigh 250 pounds!  Oh well, I am excited about the improvement and look forward to what next week brings!  The weather has been perfect and it makes running so darn fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment