Search This Blog

Saturday, October 20, 2018

Reality of Age

So, this was my 4th week of training and I experienced a bit of a setback.  Somewhere around mid-week I became quite fatigued and had to take an extra day off.  It started on Wednesday night when I signed up for a 5.5k trail run with my daughter.  It was her first run back from injury and asked if I would join her.  I wasn't planning on running hard, which was good because I could barely hold an 8:30 pace.  Thursday night was beautiful, so I ran a decent 10 miles on the river road.  When I will up Friday morning I had no mental or physical energy to do much of anything.  Saturday's two hour run was just okay, but did include Old Excelsior and Sparrow Road hills. Sunday was shorter than planned.  

So, what is going on?  Of all my comeback attempts since 2016, things usually turn south after consecutive weeks of 50 miles or more.  Leaves me stuck in a bad place, since I can only race well with high mileage, but things start to fall apart at 50 miles?  I then get discouraged and the viscous cycle continues.

What to do?  Keep on truckin' is the best advice I can give myself.  Sure I only managed 44 miles this week, but I did manage a 22 minute 5k on the track as part of my Tuesday 9-miler.  Thursday's 10 miles was fun and Saturday was just shy of 14 miles and included those awesome hills.  Let's take it easy this coming week and nail a 21:as 5k in Wayzata on Saturday.  Let's stay positive and enjoy the journey.  Keep in mind the ultimate goal of one more sub 3-hour marathon in 2020 before I turn 60.  Keep this fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment