Search This Blog

Sunday, January 4, 2015

The Marathon Cornerstone

To borrow a biblical metaphor, the cornerstone of any marathon training program is mileage.  I learned this the hard way over the years, trying to complete the races in goal time, by cheating on the miles, and running more intervals, tempos and track workouts.  The marathon is not about speed, it's all about endurance and without a proper foundation, your marathon plans will collapse.  Speed work, intervals are all great and beneficial, but can only be built on the almighty foundation of endurance, the cornerstone on which the building depends!

All that being said, foundation building started this week.   After running relatively low mileage for the past 12 weeks, it's time to start the very slow and deliberate task of building up the base once again.   Same plan as last year, but I may ramp just a tad quicker this year.  I stretched out this phase too long last year and my spring racing times suffered.  The key is to find just the right balance.

The mile training is done and good riddance!  Hobbies are supposed to be fun and going to the track twice a week for painful and laborious 400 and 800 workouts is far from enjoyable.  I did gain some fitness and the strengthening and conditioning workouts will continue, so none of this was a waste of time.  I still plan on racing the mile next week, but with no delusions of running a sub 5!

Also, I bid a fond farewell to the running store I have worked at part time over the past 4 years. It will be closing its doors at the end of this month.  I sure will miss that generous shoe discount! If you know of anyone looking for a running shoe expert, let me know.  

So, here is to the new year and another chance for faster times and enjoyable running.

Happy Running,
Rick

No comments:

Post a Comment