Search This Blog

Sunday, January 11, 2015

Hi-Tech Running

I was running on Saturday and it hit me, what a incredible time time we live, in regards to technology. I recently entered the 21st century, so indulge me as I go on like a hillbilly visiting the big city for the first time.  I had my new smart phone along for my Saturday run, pretty standard by most people's standards, but a slim, light phone that clips inside my jacket pocket and I forget is there.  I have Rhapsody music subscription service, which I can access anywhere, anytime, just about every record known to man. Just think of that, in my pocket, I have access to any album I could want to listen to (okay, no AC/DC or the Beatles, but you get the idea). Along with my new phone, I got a pair of wireless, bone-conduction headphones.  So no annoying cords and the headphones rest on my cheekbone, not stuck inside my ear.  Not only do they sound amazing, but like my phone, I completely forget they are there.  Plus, I can hear everything around me, so they are safe.  Then, about halfway through my run, the music fades and I'm getting a phone call.  I don't answer it, because hey, I'm running, but still, wow.

Then there are the watches.  Again, my watch is pretty standard, but most runners these days have some form of GPS watch.  A watch that only measures the time running, but their pace, distance, elevation change and for the really high tech people you get heart rate, cadence, foot strike, VO2 max and a race predictor.  All of this from a very small wristwatch that connects with a satellite in space that tracks a runners every move.  Think about it, holy crap!

Now consider Saturday morning.  At my house it was 7 below zero.  But again, because of  technology, I was able to stay warm, without dressing like the Michelin man.  My Marmot running jacket is simply amazing.  With only two thin base layers added, I was completely comfortable.  That jacket coupled with my Brooks Utopia tights, some Smartwool socks, Saucony mittens and. Running Room face mask and hat and I was great.  In fact, by the end of the run, I was unzipping the jacket a bit.  Pretty incredible!

So, I can go for a run, have satellites track my every move, have access to any music I wish, stay in complete communication with the entire world, post on social media, take pictures/videos, and stay competely comfortable, all this for an investment of under $750!

No comments:

Post a Comment