Search This Blog

Sunday, January 18, 2015

Getting Back to What I Love

Okay, this mile nonsense is officially over.  I no longer have to worry about or dread going to th track to run multiple 400 meter repeats or feel guilty for bailing on the workout altogether.  I can now get back to running nice leisurely, long runs with the occasional mix of snappier tempos or maybe even an interval now and then.  I have said it many times over the past few months, I hate training for the mile.  The pressure and the intensity are just not my style.  All that being said, I did actually go through with the race.  I thought I could run a sub 5:20, and did manage that, for about 800m!  There was a big fade in laps 5,6, and 7 and had very little kick left in the end.  Final result: 5:26.  No PR, not even close, but 10 seconds faster than last year, so the training I have done was beneficial.  Another positive by-product of the mile training is that I finally feel like I created a solid routine for strengthening and conditioning.  I read an article that stated for distance runners, only 30 to 60 minutes per week is needed.  That's good, because I am going to need lots of time for running.

So, what now.  The plan is to build the base, very methodically and deliberately, just like last year, but maybe pick up the time table.  Last year, I think I wasted too much time in building up to some big miles and left some time out there on my spring races.  I am off to a good start with a 50 mile week, including the mile race, a 12 mile Polar Bear run on Saturday (thanks Kurt and Eugene) and a snappy 9 miler Tuesday in 1 hour flat.

Only a couple of weeks left before the running store I work at closes.  I will certainly miss the shoe discount, but will really miss the Wednesday night run club.  I hope we can continue in another form or fashion going forward.  I am looking for a running related part time job, so let me know if you know of anything.  I applied for a marathon coaching job at a local fitness center and will find out next week.  Or maybe, I will just forgo the part-time employment and run more!

Happy Running!
Rick

No comments:

Post a Comment