Search This Blog

Sunday, December 14, 2014

This Ain't Easy

After about a month of training for the mile, my mind and body revolted. I blame Thanksgiving.  Both mind and body enjoyed the holiday week and when I tried to get back into another week of intervals from hell and laborious strengthening sessions, they said not now.  It took taking 3 days off for my body and mind to finally give in.  Tuesday night was the worse.  Normally my track work out.  I got a good night's sleep the night before and didn't do a MLR on Sunday, so was thinking I could get my 800x2 at 2:30 in the books.  I didn't even make it to the track.  I got dressed and kept telling myself that I was going to do this, but just before I was about to leave, I said "screw this", ate dinner and went to bed!  I slept 9 hours that night and have felt pretty good since.  I even managed a time trial on Friday night, where I ran a 5:28 mile as part of 6 mile run.  A far cry from 5, but somewhat encouraging.  

Less than a month to go until race day, so I can still regroup and salvage a decent time.  I've decided not to force the issue, this is supposed to be a fun hobby and I had certainly drained all the enjoyment out of a good run.  I will still try to get my intervals done, but heck, if I want to run 7 with my daughter, or an easy 8 with a friend that's what I will do.

One good by-product of this mile experiment is my attitude towards gym work outs.  It is certainly changing the way I run and I have found that committing 60 minutes per week is no big deal. Running fast feels more natural than ever and hopefully I won't have to worry about lower back issues once I start ramping up the miles.

I am looking ahead to 2015 and starting to plan out some of my running and racing goals, always one of my favorite things to do.  Should have the list done by next week.

Happy Running!
Rck

No comments:

Post a Comment