Search This Blog

Sunday, December 21, 2014

The True Meaning of Perseverance

We lost a tough lady today.  Long distance runners often talk about running tough, working through the pain, persevering.  The toughest runner on the planet ain't got nothing on my Mom.  I'm not just talking about the past few years, when she faced some extremely difficult physical pain.  I'm talking about a Mom who lost a son in 1977, a wife who lost her husband way too soon in 1991, then to lose another child, a daughter to cancer in 2007.  Then she faced her own health problems.  Beating breast cancer, twice, then being diagnosed with Multiple Myeloma about 6 years ago, which along with its unique health issues was the cause of her needing major reconstructive hip surgery.  Through all this heartache and pain she persevered, never complaining, never feeling sorry for herself and always positive.  The way she handled adversity was a great influence on me.  I can't fathom what she has gone through, but when things get rough for me, all I need to do is remember my Mom's attitude.  She never cared to talk about herself, but she could have written a book on toughness and facing adversity.  We will miss you.  Love you Mom.

No comments:

Post a Comment