Search This Blog

Sunday, August 10, 2014

Well Deserved Cut-back Week

After several 90 mile plus weeks and last week's effort over 100, I decided to give myself a bit of a break.  My legs and my brain really needed it, plus, I had a key race on Sunday.  It was the MDRA 15k, the only race at this distance that I am aware of, so I didn't want to miss out.  My plan called for 18 miles with 10 at MP, which sounded boring, so the race plus a warm up and cool down was the perfect replacement.  It was humid this morning , but not too warm, no reason not to just let it rip. I ran the race last year in 59:48, coming off a back injury, so I was hoping for something closer to 59 flat this year.  I went out easy, too easy I thought at the time, clocking a 6:34.  Turned out this was a wise strategy, as the humidity would take its toll later in the race.  I stayed easy for the first few miles and handled the long hill at mile 3 pretty well.  After the hill I got to work, reeling in miles of 6:12 to 6:16.  All seemed pretty effortless, but I have to admit that the last mile was pretty miserable.

Also, ran the Como Park Relays on Wednesday night.  We finished the 8k race in 30:53, which wasn't too bad considering the hilly and very lumpy cross-country course.  I was the weak link on the team, as my legs were still shot, from last week's high mileage.

Very happy with the week and where I am at fitness wise.  The fact that I ran the 15k close to 40 seconds faster than last year is definitely a good sign.

Happy Running!
Rick

No comments:

Post a Comment