Search This Blog

Sunday, August 24, 2014

Speed Focus - Only Six Week To Go

After weeks and months of piling up miles and miles and miles, it's now time to fine tune.  I was  hoping to begin this past week, but with dew points in the 70 to 75 range and coming off multiple 20 milers, I just couldn't get my body to move very fast.  I did recovery runs Monday, then a half-hearted progression on Tuesday (8:30 to 7:00), recovery with Como Park Relays on Wednesday, where I ran my 5x1k's at around 3:45 pace.  As a team we finished in 37:30.  I was fading big time on the last leg.  I tried another progression run on Thursday (8:30 to 6:30) which was better, but did it on the treadmill because of the T-storms and extreme dew points.  Did my long run on Saturday, which was my 3rd 20-miler in 8 days.  I have to admit, I am really getting sick of running on tired legs, every run feels like a slog.

So, with 6 weeks to go, I need to trust that the endurance to run a 2:52 marathon is there, and now focus on intervals, tempos and racing.  This is good timing as I have the Victory 10k coming up on Labor Day followed by the City of Lakes Half Marathon the following Sunday.  Goals are sub 37 and sub 1:22.  So that means a cut back in mileage this week, a mini taper for the 10k, and will probably will forgo anything over 20 miles for the next two weeks.  I am sure that my legs will thank me.

Happy Running!
Rick

No comments:

Post a Comment