Search This Blog

Sunday, April 27, 2014

Slow and Steady

I continue my very methodical, deliberate and sometimes painfully slow build up to my next marathon training cycle.  It's a bit frustrating, as I see my 2014 race time improvements level off and drop.  I am not logging the big miles, which I still believe is the right thing to do, but it's hard to accept the fact I may be sacrificing some opportunities to PR.  Yesterday for example, was the Get in Gear 10k.  Perfect conditions and I was rested and ready to go.  I had visions of running a 36 something, but it was apparent early, that this wasn't going to happen.  I attribute it all to the lower mileage.  Still, a pretty good day at the races and good enough for a 3rd place AG finish.  My splits looked like this, 6:06, 6:00, 6:10, 6:10, 5:58, 5:59 and 1:11.

As far as the painfully slow build up, my 2014 is looking like this:

November - 128 miles
December - 168 miles
January - 198 miles
March - 268 miles
April - 300 miles plus (estimate)
May - 360 miles???

When June 2nd rolls around, I will have a very sound base, be relatively healthy and be hungry and ready for the big miles and tough work outs ahead.  At least that's the plan on paper right now.  Two more weeks to my spring goal race, the New Prague Half Marathon.  A couple more 70 mile weeks, race day, then the real fun begins!

Happy Running,
Rick

No comments:

Post a Comment