Search This Blog

Sunday, April 13, 2014

Big Jump this Week

The change to morning running agreed with me!  I had a pretty big week and a successful effort overall.  I managed my first doubles of the season, logged over 70 miles for the first time since last fall and managed 3 quality workouts.

Lets take the doubles.  I can't believe what a difference these make.  Rather than log one easy effort on Mondays and Wednesdays, I get up early and slog through 4 miles or so, then bounce back incredibly for my second easy effort of the day.  Both are very slow and very easy, but the extra miles really aid in recovery.  So, I will continue to do these as much as my schedule will allow.

Then there is the miles.  Of course the doubles helped in adding to the total, but also managed double digit runs on Tuesday, Thursday,  and Saturday.  Apart from some downtime on Saturday, I felt great.

Now race day.  I forgo a full out effort last week at the Ron Dawes 25k for a full blown effort at the Fred Kurz 10 miler this Saturday.  It's a flat course and I thought the weather would be better.  Well, I was half right.  Weather wasn't awful, but an 18 mph wind on the way back to the finish did not make for PR conditions.  I did run well under 1:05 with a 1:04:09/6:25 pace.  I managed 6:18's for the first half,  but slowed to 6:30's on the way home.  The last mile was 6:15.

Off next week, but back into it the following week for the Get in Gear 10k and then a couple of weeks later my goal spring race, the New Prague Half Marathon.  It's been a busy spring!

Happy Running!
Rick

No comments:

Post a Comment