Search This Blog

Sunday, April 28, 2013

Eight Weeks to Go and Fitness Check #1 - DONE

Saturday morning was a glorious morning.  After this terrible spring (or lack thereof) it was wonderful to be out running and racing in a singlet and shorts again.  50 degrees at the start and very little wind for the start of annual Get in Gear 10k.  I had high hopes of breaking the 37 minute barrier, but the 90 mile week and the hills on the St. Paul side of the river did me in.  I am happy to report that my time of 37:36 is a new PR, so I am very thrilled with that.  I am pretty confident that I can crack 37 minutes this year, maybe at the flat and fast Victory 10k course.  Mile 1 was fast, even if a little slow out of the gates, with a 6:01.  Mile 2 felt effortless at 5:59 and mile 3 felt easy and relaxed. Then the hills happened and I was just not able to find that final gear.  I struggled the next mile at 6:10, but after that I just couldn't muster up any faster turnover and there was no pop in the legs.  I'm thrilled with the weather, my PR and my top 5 finish

This coming week is a big one.  I have some temp runs scheduled for earlier in the week and a 24 miler on Sunday.  This is also the week that I am going to try to break the 100 mile mark.  Lets hope this old body holds up.  That will be a good lead in to fitness test number two, the New Prague Half Marathon on a week from Saturday.  I love this running stuff!

Happy Running!
Rick

No comments:

Post a Comment