Search This Blog

Sunday, January 27, 2013

Starting to Feel like a Runner Again


It's starting to become a very familiar pattern.  I finish up my fall marathon, flail around in November, half hearted running through the holidays with a short-lived commitment to train in earnest for the Meet of the Miles.  Same story this year, but what I have done is to maintain my base with better resolve.  Fifty and sixty mile weeks have been the norm, and they have come pretty easy.  Saturday morning's half marathon effort was proof of that.  I honestly didn't train for it, didn't even decide to run it for sure until 2 hours before the gun went off.  I ran hard on Thursday and even did a treadmill work out the night before the race, things I would never even consider had I been seriously planning a race.  So I toed the line, zero degrees , thinking I could run sub 1:30, but barely.  I ran the first 5 miles and was right on pace for 1:30.  As per usual, my miles got faster and faster, getting down to 6:25 for mile 10.  The last mile is a killer all up hill, but all in all a really solid effort.  I need to learn to trust my fitness and go out of the gates a little faster.  I've never been able to run a perfect half marathon.  I always feel that I leave too much on the course.  Anyway, good enough for a second place AG and more importantly, I feel like a runner again.

Happy Running!
Rick

No comments:

Post a Comment