Search This Blog

Sunday, July 1, 2012

One Mesocycle Down and Four To Go!

I have completed my first 4 weeks of training, Mesocycle I, weeks 1 - 4.  Other than feeling a little beat up last week, I think round one was a rousing success.  I came a little shy of hitting 80 miles for the week, but did get in my first 20-miler of the cycle.  I ran it this morning at 6:00 when it was already mid-70's and rising dew points, so needless to say I spent the majority of the run in 1st gear.  I did open it up a bit from miles 14 to 20 and managed to be in the medium-fast range of my GA runs or about 7:45 pace.  I like where my endurance level is right now; this 20 mile run, even in the heat felt relatively easy.  Now, as I enter Mesoccyle II I can build on this foundation and start throwing some more lactate threshold runs.  Should be interesting considering the forecast.  97 temps and dew points of 74 do not make for successful tempo and LT runs.  I may need to take advantage of the treadmill again this week.  Hey, as long as you take it easy, this heat training can be a good thing.  I am feeling like I am right where I should be to get to my sub 3!

So, what else does Mesocycle #2 have in store.  More two-a-days, 80 to 90 miles per week, two MLR's of the 12 and 15 mile variety during the middle of the week and I lose my recovery Saturday.  I can already tell that those 8 and 9 mile GA runs on Saturday are going to be a challenge.  Especially since I am accustom to 6 miles very, very easy. 

This coming week is going to be a big one.  I'm seriously considering running the Firecracker 10K on Wednesday, plus MLR's of 13 and 15 and then round out the week with 18 miles, 10 of them at MP!  Wish me luck, it's going to be a tough one.  Nothing like getting up at 4:00 am to run in some moderate temps!

Here is my song of the week, which has given a much needed boost more than a few times this week:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xc1syUFmGwU

Happy Running Everybody!

Rick

No comments:

Post a Comment