Search This Blog

Sunday, June 24, 2012

Feeling Fifty-One, so Please Pass the Fish Oil

Perhaps it was the added stress of my wife's hip surgery this week, but my body felt like it was every bit it's 51-years.  True, I did some fairly aggressive running last week, but I honestly expected to bounce back better than this.  It may be just a placebo effect, but I cranked up the fish oil intake and the old joints started to feel much better.  I'm a far cry from "well-oiled" but getting there.

I also fell way short in the mileage department this week.  I intended to do a modest 16 mile easy-paced tun today, but because of my nursing duties, I had to go later in the day.  The heat did not get to me, but the huge serving of chips and salsa I consumed a couple of hours before the run caused me great discomfort.  Again, I seem to forget I am 51; I used to be able to do things like this.  This was the closest I've come to puking while running, ever.  So, I shut it down after 6 miles and plan on doing my long run on Monday.  I still managed 61 miles for the week, but the plan was to be hitting 80 miles per week by now, so I got some catching up to do.

I've been watching some of the Olympic trials, but to be honest, it is entertaining, but not very motivating.  Watching the world-class middle distance guys just makes what I do, seem kinda silly.  Don't get me wrong, I will continue to be "silly" for as long as humanly possible, but I don't like to be reminded of it.  Also, too much diving.  Not silly, but truly boring.

Kristen's hip replacement surgery was a rousing success.  She is getting around remarkably well and appears to be on the recovery fast-track.  At least she is smart enough not to eat a ton of salsa before her physical therapy.

Happy Running!
Rick

No comments:

Post a Comment